Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Varenicline

Have you had the chance to start patients on Chantix yet?
What has your experience with it been thus far? Any good success stories?

5 comments - CLICK HERE to read & add your own!:

Jeff H said...

I've prescribed it once. The patient was then, 3 weeks later, admitted to my service for an AECOPD. She was then spotted smoking in the bathroom (while using her oxygen, of course).

She was discharged without any more Chantix.

Jennings said...

I also have prescribed it but too early to see follow-up. Interestingly, one of the insurance companies actually paid for it.

Anonymous said...

I have been on Chantix now for 5 weeks and have successfully quit smoking. The first week taking the pills you realize that you are not getting the same high (which I never even knew existed before)that you did while smoking. This makes it much easier to quit. I actually quit 2 days before my due date. After the third week it becomes easier and easier. I still have cravings but do not act.
I have smoked a pack a day (sometimes more) for over 20 years.

Anonymous said...

I have been on it for four weeks now and have all but quit. I have smoked two or three in the past week but only a couple of puffs. The key is that there is no payoff to the inhalation - so it gets easier and easier to avoid. And the longer you are away from them the more disgusting they become further supporting avoidance. I will have to say there are side effects to be endured - nausea at first and then somewhat mild, persistent headache. And I am usually pretty tolerant of most medicines. Staying on the medicine in spite of the side-effects I think will be the bigger challenge for most folks. Your mind will try to trick you into thinking you can't put up with the side effects. I also took Zyban in the past and was successful for about 3 years. I think the Varenicline is a better therapy for longer term results and psychological behavioral change. Also, because of the way the Varenicline works there is no inclination to replace the smoking with food - therefore no weight gain which is a worry for a lot of folks when considering stopping smoking - right or wrong.
Hope this was helpful.

FIZWOZ said...

I did a standard Chantix course in 2008. My insurance paid for it. I experienced mild nausea and headaches at first but they subsided after the first week. While taking Chantix I experienced frequent lucid dreams as well as extremely vivid, memorable, and "out-there" non-lucid dreams.

I quit on my quit date, and cheated once or twice the following week, but didn't touch a cigarette from week 3 onwards. Sadly I returned to smoking a few weeks after I stopped taking Chantix, and I was too ashamed to ask my doctor for an extended course. Then about 6 months later I got very sick and quit cold-turkey with no gum, patches, Chantix, or other aids. That was April 13, 2009 and I'm still nicotine-free.

I believe Chantix is an effective smoking-cessation aid but it needs to be backed up with a strong will once the Chantix is removed.