Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dose of T-PA - Part Deux

I didn't get much feedback or interest on the post below on T-PA and empyemas so I contacted our T-PA rep and we got some references on the matter.
The dose varies widely and it seems you just can't go wrong...
In the Chest abstract I had listed in the original post the authors used 10 mg per instillation.
In a brief review/case report in Hospital Pharmacy in 2003 (vol 38 (11); pp: 1024-29) the authors used 16mg/100ml NSS infused daily. They derived the dose by extrapolating the ratio of Streptokinase usually used in empyemas to the dose for MI's.
In another Chest abstract, the initial dose was 10mg for complicated hemothoraces and that was increased to 25mg, still with good tolerability.
The pediatric literature was a bit more consistent and usually 0.1mg/kg was used in various trials.
Any other suggestions?

1 comments - CLICK HERE to read & add your own!:

Anonymous said...

I have stopped using SK for empyema as the latest studies show no benefit. I think there are no good studies with TPA. I do not know if simple saline throught the chest tube is better than doing nothing. I'd love to hear what people think about this as there seems to be no good answers beyond surgical evacuation